Thursday, November 18, 2010

What's wrong with my power supply?

I changed my power supply more than 5 times, I don't know what's wrong with my computer they told me that my house's electricity is burning them but I doubt it my brother's computer works just fine and I tried different rooms to see if my room was the problem but still nothing happened, I have 1 fan in my case + air-conditioner in my room my case isn't that big but I didn't have any problems in the past my new power supply is 400 watt and I can't turn on my computer for more than 30-45 mins I don't want my fifth PS to burn %26gt;.%26lt;, my old ones used to smell like they are burning before they burn with +heat



my computer runs with 6800GT (Videocard), headphone, keybored, mouse, DVD writer, 160 GB hard disc and a 1GB ram (Idk if this info would help)



Please tell me what's wrong with my computer and how I fix it :( I tried a 500 watt PS before and it didn't last for more than 4 hours)



Thanks in advance. What%26039;s wrong with my power supply?
Sounds like you have a short or other malfunction in a drive or the motherboard.



If the power supply gets hot to the touch quickly (within minutes of turning on) you most likely have a short...try it with ONLY the motherboard connected (don't connect the drives or anything) and power up - it'll say no OS but if the power supply still has problems you know it's not the drives...



If you know what you're doing, you can use a multimeter to check the power supply lines and see if there's a voltage drop when you connect something...but be carefull what you touch!



Otherwise I'd say have it checked by a computer shop...I recommend smaller mom %26amp; pop shops because they're usually cheeper than BestBuy/CircuitCity.



I don't think it's your electricity unless you're plugging in right next to the air-conditioner (same outlet)...but a good surge-protector should keep the computer safe - a high quality UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) if you want to be extra-sure.What%26039;s wrong with my power supply?
Sounds like something is shorting them out, that or you got really bad luck.



It could be your wall outlet or the faulty power cord. Heck it could even be your motherboard.



I suggest getting a volt meter and try measuring the current from your wall outlet to your system and other places as well to see if there is any electrical spikes.What%26039;s wrong with my power supply?
get a surge protected power board to plug your computer into..... are you getting these power supply's from the same computer shop, maybe change your computer shopWhat%26039;s wrong with my power supply?
You should contact technical support from the website or calling the company hotline of whatever brand of computer you have. It is mostly likely the wrong voltage/wattage PS.What%26039;s wrong with my power supply?
Could possibly be an issue with your motherboard....it may be creating a short and in turning shorting out the power supply....I would try that next....



Best of luck!What%26039;s wrong with my power supply?
My friend, are you using a generic 400 and 500 watts power supply?



If you do, it will sure not last for so long. I will advice you to buy a Power supply that is branded like HEC, Enermax for your PC. For the meanwhile, to temporarily extend your PC use, try disconnecting the DVD writer and Fan casing.





Please click on the thumbs up icon for me to help entertain more questions. thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment