Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Is there some way I could find the total power my pc consumes?

I have the new hp pavilion elite m9600t desktop and I customized the build. I was wondering since it had a power supply of around 420 watts or close to it, if I could test how many watts my computer uses so I could upgrade it's components.

The things I put in were one 1 light scribe 16x max DVD burner, the intel core i7 920 processor, 4 gbs of DDR3 SDRAM(2 sticks), 500 gb hard drive 7200 rpm SATA 3gb/s, 768 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS, wireless lan card, and that would be about it. I was wondering if someone knew how many watts these components would use up. Also, if I wanted to upgrade, how many watts I had left to upgrade. The main things are getting a 2nd dvd optical drive/burner, RAM(i know it would take only about 1.5v so it doesn't matter much, and last maybe a second graphics card if necessary. I was wondering if I needed to get another graphics card. Would it impact on the performance and the speed of the computer? What are the benefits of getting another one? And if I don't have enough power, can I change the power supply or should I just not bother with changing the power supply. Please give any answers or suggestions. Thank you.Is there some way I could find the total power my pc consumes?
To determine how much electricity your computer is actually using, you need a wattage meter which measures your PSU's electrical use at the wall AC outlet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as



The 420W PSU that came with your HP can drive that 9600GS easily. The 9600GS is not all that powerful and draws only a maximum of 96 watts, which is nothing compared to top-of-the-line cards like the GTX295 which draws an insane 289 watts.



Hope this helps.
  • pimples stop growing
  • web design and hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment