Thursday, September 22, 2011

What power inverter would be ideal for a battery back up?

Hello,



I have been considering this idea for a while but I have had it on the back burner for too long. I've seen a few videos online of people putting a battery inverter and a car battery together to make a strong, long lasting battery backup. This idea really excites me, I don't love the cost of commercially made battery backups, and I am often disappointed on how they often like to create such heavy tier cost, 400 watts for 100 dollars, 800 watts for 200 dollars and so on.



I have some expensive electronic equipment that would greatly benefit from clean, uninterpretable power. A computer, monitor, stereo equipment, projector (the projector is the key portion here as it would be 'damaged' by shutting down without a chance to go through it's power down sequence) and so on. I feel confident that I don't draw over 10 amps at 120v. I am pretty sure that a 1500 watt setup would be more than enough.



I really like the idea of being certain that the inverter is giving whatever is plugged into it 'clean' power, sine wave or power that isn't fluctuating in voltage. I've seen back up power supplies speak of a feature they call AVR. Is that a vital idea? I imagine that the power comes straight from the battery, being certain that it is always clean, but I could be wrong.



I was also thinking of which would be better, two smaller car batteries or one larger RV battery. I saw a video of a guy speaking about how it would create less heat if you had a 24 volt (two battery) setup because the inverter wouldn't have to change the voltage so much.



Thanks!What power inverter would be ideal for a battery back up?
Be warned that very few inverters produce a true sine wave. Some give a near square wave, some sawtooth. If the one you are looking at does not say it gives a pure sine output IT DOESN'T.



Industrial motors for inverter duty are so specified, because the harmonics can fry motors designed for relatively clean utility power.



I would guess that AVR is Automatic Voltage Regulation, which would seem to me to be so basic a requirement that bragging about it pure ad copy.



Once you get a pure sine output inverter, it will be less efficient; more heat.



24V input might be better, but check out manufacturer's datasheets. Then consider that very probably vastly more 12V units are made and mass production lowers prices; that 24 VDC input unit may be far more expensive.



Also, car batteries are made and sold in far greater quantity and may therefore be cheaper per amp-hour.



More smaller batteries will also be easier to carry and set up than one huge one.



I am sure that wikipedia has at least one article on inverters, which would probably help you.



www.northerntool.com carries them and generally has good prices and quality.

www.herbach.com is a surplus outfit that might have them, cheap.
  • nail polish swimwea
  • drawing a circle
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment