Thursday, September 22, 2011

I have a question about voltage and current?

Is this true : If I have an electric oven that has a power rating of 100 W, and I use a 200 V power supply, I will have a current of 0.5 A?



Is this true : If I have the same electric oven but instead I connect it to a 400 V power supply, I will have a current of 0.25 A?



Now, if the electric heater has a voltage rating, how does this change my hypothesis to what the current will be?I have a question about voltage and current?
Is this true : If I have an electric oven that has a power rating of 100 W, and I use a 200 V power supply, I will have a current of 0.5 A?

Yes if the oven was designed to operate on 200V







Is this true : If I have the same electric oven but instead I connect it to a 400 V power supply, I will have a current of 0.25 A?

Yes if the oven was designed to operate on 400V but no if it is the same 200V oven







Now, if the electric heater has a voltage rating, how does this change my hypothesis to what the current will be?



the current is a function of the voltage divided by the resistance = Amperes



as the voltage is increased (for a given resistance value) the current will increase and the power will also increase



AnitaI have a question about voltage and current?
Power carried by any electrical equipment is always constant which also can be calculated by I^2 * R, where I is the current value and R is the resistance of the said electrical equipment.

Therefore considering your first hypothesis, Power is (0.5)^2 * R, while in the 2nd case its (0.25)^2 * R which is far less hotter than the first case. There is a possiblity of coil getting burnt in first case and hence you will not be able to test the second case. If your second case is valid still the first case will result in burning the coil, all of this is on the basis that the resistance R of the coil is constant R which is true in practical scenario.

hence either way in both of your statements only 2nd one can be true and tested.

Hope this is explaining the logic behind your hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment