Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why does my computer randomly shuts down?

My computer randomly shuts down?

A few weeks ago I was using my computer as usual. Playing Games, Browsing the internet, Checking the status. But now it randomly shuts down without my consent. This is how it happens.



I start up my computer. It runs fine. I run a few programs like Safari, iTunes. Then I close them and play MapleStory. I play for about 23-30 minutes and then it Shuts down. Now I usually have to wait 15-30 minutes again for it to reboot. But, I don't want this to keep happening.



I've researched and this is what I have done so far.

I've cleaned the fans and most of whats inside of my computer.

I've done a virus scan and its clean.

Also I've cleaned my hard drive, and done a system clean up.



I've had a few things in mind.

Changing the Power Supply Unit. Plugging it in a different Source. Upgrading Ram and Graphics Card. Do a system restore again and never download too many programs.





Oh and Early Thank yous for all the answers.Why does my computer randomly shuts down?
I believe it is very likely a power supply problem. Many power supplies will shut down if they overheat. If the fan in the power supply goes out, then it can overheat. How long the computer can run before the power supply overheats depends upon the temperature in the room where the computer is running. The hotter the room, the faster the power supply can overheat. Pay attention to whether the fan runs or not and, if it does, does it stop after a few minutes. If it never stops, the fan is not the issue. However, the power supply just MIGHT still be the problem as an integrated circuit in the power supply might have thermal problems.



Changing the fan in a power supply is not easy, but it is possible. Power supplies, however, are cheap enough that I would just replace it.



You could try calling the Geek Squad at your local Best Buy (if you are in the USA and there is a Best Buy in your area) and describing the problem to them. They might be able to give you an answer on the phone. The more information you give them, the more likely they can help. Be sure to note all unusual noises and the absence of normal sounds.



Good luck!Why does my computer randomly shuts down?
Whats causing your computer to spontaneously shutdown is that your cooling system is not working properly. If that happenes here is what you do.



1. Check to see if there is dust debris inside the cooling fan. If so used canned air to spray out dust and use a bristle brush to get rid of caked up dust.



2. If step one does not work, go into your computer CMOS settings(can be acessed by either pressing del, esc, F1, F2 , CTRL-Alt-esc, ctrl-alt-ins, ctrl-alt-enter or ctrl-s on bootup. It usually tells you on the boot screen) and make sure you did not accidentaly set the clock multiplyer up to high. You can fix that by selecting set to optimum settings and then save and exit. If your computer does not have the set to optimum settings feature go to your manual or contact your vender find out the proper clock multiplyer setting in your computer and then set it to that in the softmenu.



3. If that does not work chances are the berrings in your fan may be worn out and your fan needs to be replaced. If your computer is customized or overclocked, you may need a better cooling system

Source(s):

No comments:

Post a Comment