Thursday, June 2, 2011

How can I direct the electric output of windmill to the AC power?

Is it even possible? Here is the scenario:

I create a windmill, it generates some DC output. I filter it, zener it, and I got a stable DC source under good wind conditions. Now can I use it to supplement the AC power supply of my house? so that I can use the extra power without making any changes to the wiring of my house.How can I direct the electric output of windmill to the AC power?
Yes, it is possible by using an %26quot;inverter%26quot;. But I think it is not appropriate to use that generated AC voltage to power your stuffs. It is not efficient because you also need other equipments like transformer to step the voltage up. You must also design the appropriate switching and control circuits. Directing its output I think is not possible.How can I direct the electric output of windmill to the AC power?
Tesla or Edison you decide.How can I direct the electric output of windmill to the AC power?
You need what is called an inverter to convert the DC to AC. Since wind speed fluctuates, it would be best if you used the DC to charge batteries, and then run the inverter off of the batteries.



Inverters that hook into the power supply of your house are expensive, so if you have a small windmill, it is more economical to simply devote part of your AC loads to the wind system through separate wiring (or a transfer switch).



DKHow can I direct the electric output of windmill to the AC power?
A local has some solar panels which do pretty much what you're planning. Jerry runs the DC (somehow) into a pile of lead acid batteries then uses a DC-to-AC %26quot;inverter%26quot; to output 110vac. I _think_ he has rewired his houses connection to the power company such that he throws a big switch when he wants to run off the energy accumulated in his batteries.



Whatever he uses for DC-to-AC seems to be electrically noisy, suggesting it's making 60 hz square waves with sharp edges. I say this because I could hear his wife complain of %26quot;snow%26quot; on her TV set. Get out your filters.



I asked a solar power company to give me a quotation on solar panels for our house. Their plan included a couple thousand dollar %26quot;inverter%26quot; which allowed the whole thing to pump AC back into the grid. So, a smoother way than Jerry's exists and I imagine the street price of an inverter is much less than what that company was going to charge me.



The batteries may seem an inefficient stage (10% losses) but it lets you accumulate energy at a wind (or sun) condition which would otherwise be too weak to power the house.How can I direct the electric output of windmill to the AC power?
in shorts: no, you can't.

first:

for making an ac power supply you'd better use induction or synchronous generators, cause using a DC generator and then converting it to ac is very expensive (you will need an inverter)

If you have created stable DC I suggest you to find an appliance that can you DC directly.

Even if you create ac power, parallelizing it with distribution network is really hard (they must be synchronous and there are many protection issues)

so forget about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment