Thursday, June 2, 2011

Power supply too weak?

Hi, I'm having (actually, I've been having for a while, but didn't care) problems with my PC's power supply unit. I first thought it's the ventilation and that the GPU was overheating. The first game on which I spotted a little slower FPS, (when rendering large structures, for instance) is Hitman Blood Money. I didn't see anything unusual when I was playing Call Of Duty 4 in spring last year. I played HBM in Autumn last year and then I saw it first time, but didn't care actually. Then I started noting the same thing at Call of Duty 5. But on Far Cry, at Very High settings I was having an unbelievable frame rate of 5-6 FPS. My configuration is:



-Intel Pentium D Dual Core 925 CPU, 3.0 GHz, 2脳2 MB Cache

-2048 MB of RAM, 2 脳 Kingston 1 GB

-NVidia GeForce 8400 GS, 512 MB VRAM

-WD HDD, 160 GB

-1脳 DVD-RW

-3 fans

-ASUS P5VD-VM-SE Motherboard

-And the Power supply - 165 W! Yes, that's right, 165 watts.



So now you're probably wondering how may a GPU like that work on a so weak PSU, whilst requiring at least 350-400W. I've always thought that the PSU is the last thing I'll need to change, but now... it's the first thing to change, I guess. So, what do you suggest I do?Power supply too weak?
No, the power supply isn't too weak. It's perfectly fine for driving a weak card like a 8400GS.



The 8400GS is a low, low, low budget card. It has a mere 16 stream processors, compared to 112 in the 8800GT gamer card. THAT is the reason why your games don't run fast, not the PSU.



Of course if you want a better graphics card you will probably need to upgrade the PSU too.

No comments:

Post a Comment