Thursday, June 2, 2011

How can I fix a zapped external hard disk?

I recently plugged a 110v external hard disk from Japan into a 220v socket here in Argentina. There was a zap, sparks flew, and of course the hard disk wouldn't turn on any more. However, I get the feeling that if I change the power supply circuitry, I might be able to still use the hard disk, which can be unplugged from the rest of the circuitry inside the hard disk case. 驴Do you think I'll be able to fix and use the hard disk or at least recuperate the data inside it? I'd appreciate any experiences or background information that may help me get this problem fixed. Thanks in advance.How can I fix a zapped external hard disk?
Wow, the best thing I can tell you is to get the correct voltage settings and try it again. The problem with computers is that they are magnetically vulnerable. A surge like that typically (fries, erases, deletes, shorts circuits) renders the component useless, because the circuits are screwed. All you can do is hook it up to another computer, using the correct voltage settings and hope for the best.



There are professionals that may be able to retrieve data from a crippled hard drive. This is a very expensive process, so only consider if the dat is that darn important.



Good luck.



Check me out at: http://pcbuildersdelight.synthasite.com

http://www.squidoo.com/howtobuildapcands
  • cat
  • how to remove a trojan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment